Wednesday, October 1, 2014

"geargrinder420"

It's 6am. I cannot sleep. It's just not happening. This is incoherent, but my brain has been buzzing for about 12 hours straight, so I needed an outlet.

I stumbled upon a "test your gaydar" quiz while trying (and failing) to fall asleep, and the next thing I know, I've set up an account on OkCupid. That's really how it happened. And I never got the results of my quiz.

I've been hesitant of online dating because it seems too formulated and icky. The 40 minutes I've spent on OkCupid has done nothing but discourage me. Where the hell do they dig up these guys???? My 90% matches look like they crawled out from under a bridge. And the things they expect from women, it's just... what? All these questions... most of them aren't relevant. It's stupid.

It should be this simple:

My name is Elizabeth. I introduce myself as Libby, but if you aren't disgusting or if you're one of my parents you may call me Elizabeth. I go to church, and that's important to me, but I don't want a "Jesus Freak" who is so far removed from the world that he can't have a conversation with my friends. If you disagree with my beliefs, I'm open to intelligent, respectful discussions (respectful being the key word). I want someone who takes the time to spell check his text messages because he wouldn't be able to look at himself in the mirror if he didn't. I want someone who loves food as much as I do. Dammit I love food. I want someone who will actively pursue his own interests, and be happy for me when I pursue mine. If you maybe smoked a little pot in your younger years, that's fine, just for the love of God don't do it now. Seriously, put that 4 foot bong down and get a damn job. I want a guy who loves his mother. I want someone who is honest all the time. Don't tell me at the end of our date that you have a secret girlfriend in a different state and cry to me about how bad you feel for cheating on her. Please. Be interested in my life at a healthy level. If you tell me you're going to call, please do. I want someone who is able to turn his bad days into good ones on his own without bringing everyone else around him down. Have a  love for baseball, or hockey, or soccer. Make me laugh. Laugh at my jokes. Laugh with me about stupid things. Laugh a lot. Like me even though I'm flawed and have smelly feet. Encourage me to be my best self. That's all I want.


Maybe the reason I keep getting matched with trolls is that I don't bring enough to the table. Or that I write stupid things about dating without proofreading before I publish them on my blog at 6am when I should be asleep.

1 comment:

  1. Don't get yourself down. It can happen, but there's a lot of crap to wade through first. There will be an inevitable story of "oh my god how did this person get matched with me" horrible first date (example: http://kpquepasa.blogspot.com/2012/02/first-is-worst-and-last_15.html). Consider it a writing blog prompt. But have patience, because it can work.

    ReplyDelete